Program Mission: HOLA’s College Success Program empowers HOLA graduates to gain the independence and confidence they need to succeed in college and attain a degree.
By providing college access assistance through counseling, workshops, scholarships and job opportunities, HOLA graduates are inspired to reach out for support on their respective campuses and stay involved within the HOLA community. The Alumni Association was started by students to create a space for dialogue around college related issues, peer counseling, fundraising and networking.
- Empower all HOLA graduates to go to college and attain a degree
- Follow alumni through college by providing support in academics, finances and college planning
- Inspire alumni to give back to the HOLA community and become positive examples for future HOLA graduates
- See HOLA graduates become positive leaders in the community
- Currently, 98% of alumni in the Class of 2012 are in their fourth year of college.
- 98% of the tracked scholarship recipients in the Classes of 2012 and 2013 are still enrolled in a 2 year or 4 year college. Students are attending schools all over the country, including Yale University, Brown University, UPenn, Kenyon College, Smith College, UC Berkeley, UCLA, and USC. Click here to see a complete list of schools our students are attending.
- HOLA’s Scholarship Committee awarded 120 seniors and alumni with scholarships totaling $198,500.
- Our students represent over 82 colleges across the nation, including all 9 of the UC Undergraduate Campuses.
- In early November, HOLA staff, volunteers and local alumni assemble more than 120 care packages to send to alumni attending college outside of the Los Angeles area
Join our weekly conversations in the Facebook Heart of Los Angeles College Access and Alumni Group.
Join the Heart of Los Angeles Alumni Group on Linkedin to connect and network with alumni at your college and explore career opportunities.
Become a member of HOLA’s Alumni Association! The College Success Director will be happy to inform you of upcoming events and opportunities. To join HOLA’s Alumni Association’s mailing list, email Kevin Franco.
With the winter quarter well under way, we’re pleased about the many fun and educational collaborations that have taken off at HOLA. To celebrate all the love and support of our teachers, directors, staff, volunteers, students and families, we wanted to share with you what’s new in our cozy corner of the universe. Over in Athletics, some of our middle school girls have begun training to run a 5k with the help of nonprofit Girls on the Run. The program is designed to inspire girls to be joyful, […]
After a successful internship with Walt Disney Studios in Burbank already under his belt, HOLA alumni Daniel Lopez is well on his way to achieving his goals of graduating college and using media skills to empower his community. A native Angeleno, Daniel attends California State University of Los Angeles where he studies Communications and Marketing. He is excited to return to his roots as the current Scholar in Residence, a yearlong position offered to an exceptional alum enrolled in college who has demonstrated a desire to give […]
HOLA alumna and senior at Whitman College in Washington Maricela Sanchez-Garcia is grateful that college has provided her a strong support network that includes professors who continue to challenge her in critical thinking. As a first-generation, working class (FGWC) college student, Maricela has had to face other challenges that aren’t necessarily academically based. One in particular, that many HOLA alumni experience at liberal arts colleges, is being surrounded by peers who come from privileged backgrounds. “Sometimes these individuals aren’t always aware about systemic issues. This may cause some frustration but I think one shouldn’t get discouraged. Times […]
Even though struggle is a part of life — and something that usually makes us more resilient — it’s easy as a young person to perceive hardships as failure, threatening the feeling of shame. An important lesson while growing up is to understand that just because you fail or struggle that doesn’t mean you give up. Ideally, one is given guidance and tools that will help in their journey of persistence. Part of HOLA’s mission includes the phrase “nurturing environment” and while our alumni aren’t here anymore, we attempt to continue that […]
Hello Friends of Heart of Los Angeles (HOLA)! My name is Miguel Guendolay and I am a recent Heart of Los Angeles (HOLA) alum and college student at Pasadena City College. As I reflect on this past year and where I’ve come from, my heart is filled with gratitude for HOLA and the generosity of people like you. I am proud to say that I myself will be making a donation to help continue the positive impact that HOLA’s academic, arts and athletic programs have […]
In recent years, HOLA has been building a college success program geared towards high school students who become the first in their family to attend college. We’ve built a mentoring program focused on college applications and essay writing, college-ready workshops, and a college tour road trip. This semester, sixteen PAT High School seniors hit the road for a four day trip, visiting nine college campuses in Northern California. The group (which included four staff members) bonded during hours of van time, miles of gorgeous scenery, and inspiring outings with HOLA alumni at their campuses. That our students were […]