The Kitchen: Chef Alex’s Spanish Tortilla
This recipe comes to us all the way from the fragrant kitchens of España. It is similar to a frittata or omelet, but is traditionally served at room temperature. The easiest way to cook this dish is to prepare all of your ingredients ahead of time. This recipe can take over an hour from start to finish, so it’s best to cook on a lazy Sunday and have leftovers all week. Feel free to substitute your favorite meats and vegetables!
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 onions, sliced into rings
- 6 eggs
- 1 roasted red pepper, drained and cut into strips (You can buy these in jars, or make them yourself!)
- 3 ounces Spanish serrano ham, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional for garnish)
- Heat 1/2 cup of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add half of the potato slices until they are just tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the potatoes and place them in a large bowl, and cook the other half of the potatoes. Leave the oil in the skillet when finished. Toss all the cooked potatoes in the bowl with salt and pepper to taste.
- While cooking the potatoes, in another skillet heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion rings and cook until they are soft and golden brown, about 15 minutes. When cooked, place the onions on a plate and allow them to cool while you finish the potatoes.
- Whisk the six eggs in a bowl (use a fork if you don’t have a whisk). Stir in the cooled onions (make sure they’re cool!), roasted peppers, and ham. Gently add the cooked potatoes.
- Heat the large skillet over low heat with leftover oil, add a bit if there’s none left. Pour in the mixture until the bottom begins to set and turn brown, about 8-10 minutes. Loosen the tortilla with a spatula and place on a large plate. Turn the skillet upside down and place onto the uncooked side, then carefully flip it, so the tortilla is back in the pan with the uncooked side on the bottom. Cook about 4 more minutes or until the tortilla is cooked in the middle.
- Gently slide the tortilla onto a serving plate and allow to cool to room temperature. Cut into slices and serve!