The Kitchen: Chef Alex’s Healthy Breakfast Quesadillas
By themselves, quesadillas are not the healthiest food. But add in chopped vegetables and whole wheat tortillas and remove the butter and you have a delicious breakfast that will please even the pickiest of eaters. Best served with a side of fruit and guacamole or salsa on top!
- Whole wheat tortillas
- Shredded cheese (cheddar is best)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 package of mushrooms, diced
- 4 eggs
- 1 can of refried beans
- Olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Saute the onion, peppers and mushrooms, adding the onions in first. Cook until they smell really good, and are tender, 5-7 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, beat the eggs in a bowl with some salt and pepper. When the vegetables are cooked, lower the heat and add the eggs to the pan, evenly distributing them over the vegetables. Do not stir the eggs in the pan. Let the eggs cook until set and then flip. It may be easier to flip the eggs in smaller sections.
- While the eggs are cooking, heat up the refried beans in a pot.
- Once the eggs are cooked through, remove from the pan and place on a plate. Take a tortilla and spread the refried beans on it, place a section of the eggs to fill the tortilla, and sprinkle with cheese. Fold it in half, and cook the quesadilla in a frying pan until the cheese is melted.
- Serve with your choice of breakfast sides.