The Kitchen: Chef Alex’s Tomatillo Chicken
Tomatillo chicken is an easy dish that you can easily decide the spice level of, depending on your culinary audience. You can serve it by itself, but it’s best served over rice. Make sure you have a blender before you get started! All ingredients can be found cheaply at your local corner market, often cheaper than at the supermarket.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1.5 pounds green tomatillos with papery skin peeled off
- 1 chili guajillo
- 4cloves garlic
- 1 onion, diced
- 1-3 jalapeños
- 1 tomatoe
- 1 can chicken broth
- chicken bouillon cubes (optional)
- Boil a pot of water with bouillon, half the onion, and 2 garlic cloves.
- Add chicken to boiling water, cook almost all the way through (10-15 minutes depending on size and thickness). The chicken will finish cooking in the sauce.
- While chicken is cooking, cook the tomatillos and chili guajillo with the remaining onion and garlic in a pan with oil until the tomatillos are soft.
- When tomatillos are soft, put them in a blender with the garlic and onions and the can of chicken broth. Add jalapeños to taste. Keep the seeds in to make it spicy!
- Pour the sauce back into the pan.
- Cut up chicken breasts when almost cooked and add to sauce. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve over rice.