The Kitchen: Chef Alex’s Butternut Squash Soup
Butternut Squash Soup is a delicious way to eat vitamin-rich brightly colored vegetables and makes a quick and easy appetizer to pair with a meatier main course.
- 1 stick butter (substitute half for vegetable oil to reduce fat)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 big butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1.5 cup of red onion
- 1 cup green onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 8 cups chicken broth (or 1 cup for each person being served)
- 1 cup of cream cheese
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of curry powder
- Pinch of chili flakes
- Toss the butternut squash cubes with oil, salt, and pepper and roast in oven at 400º F for about 30 minutes, or until tender.
- In a large pot, melt the butter
- Add celery, red onion, and garlic. Cook until onions are clear.
- Add squash and chicken stock and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and cook until soft.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then blend in small batches. Be careful if the soup is hot.
- Add back to the pot, and sprinkle in nutmeg, curry powder, and chili flakes to taste.
- Serve with chopped green onions on top.